Sunday, January 8, 2012

Annoying Mission

Some guests are beyond just normal irritating; they madden my mind, exasperate my every energy, and dishonor my every decision.  

When I feel like I don’t have any control of the things around me, I make lists.  

Here is a list of the top five annoying things (that I can openly comment about) at the Mission. 

5. Guests pounding on the office doors and windows, while the staff is having a shift change meeting. Usually the guests just want a tooth brush or a sack lunch, it could wait. 


4. Reports of guests “over using chemicals” (cologne) in the dormitory. In an environment of unpleasant odors, can you blame a guy for wanting to smell good? 


3. When the Mission subsidizes a transcontinental bus ticket, under the condition they are not to return, and then they return! I suppose things are just too easy here? 


2. When a guest test positive for a variety of drugs and then claims that it is because of their prescription. 


1.Girlfriends that call the Mission obsessively looking for their boyfriends. If your significant other lives in a homeless shelter they probably aren't ready for a relationship.

4 comments:

TaraB said...

Dylan! Oh man, these are funny. I mean, I'm sure they're not funny when you're THERE...but man are they funny when I'm HERE reading them. That last one was my favorite. Seriously though, I admire you so much. Keep up the good God work. I'm proud of you my friend!

Dylan Wren said...

Thanks Tara!

kessia reyne said...

yes, I'm with Tara on this one: these are so furrow-your-brow NOT FUNNY, but then they really are.

I think it's so good the work that you guys are doing at the mission because it is so often thankless work to people who are difficult to like. It is soaked in grace (even when you're grossed out or angry or baffled, still, all is grace). GOD bless you, every one!

And as a post-script, your blog background picture is really neat.

Ben Schnell said...

bro, I'm sure I can't even imagine, but these things would annoy me a lot too