Friday, November 25, 2011

Wish List


This year for Christmas, I have a few request for the People's City Mission:

1. I would like it if my employer would provide the staff with batons and tasers.  I really do feel like my words would be taken much more seriously and treated with much more authority, if I had these tools at my disposal.

2. A drunk tank would be awesome.

3. The Mission would be a lot more fun, if we had a ball pit. The majority of our guests missed out in life because they were born into a pre-ball pit society.

Honestly, the batons and tasers are probably unreasonable and a bit too violent. The drunk tank is a good idea but probably not going to happen. And the ball pit, might enable the men to never want to leave, so um, maybe a bad investment?

But this holiday season, I find some resolution in knowing that across the Atlantic, David Cameron, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, understands. He summarizes the situation at the Mission best.

"Irresponsibility. Selfishness. Behaving as if your choices have no consequences. Children without fathers. Schools without discipline. Reward without effort.Crime without punishment. Rights without responsibilities. Communities without control. Some of the worst aspects of human nature tolerated, indulged – sometimes even incentivised – by a state and its agencies that in parts have become literally de-moralised.

So do we have the determination to confront all this and turn it around? I have the very strong sense that the responsible majority of people in this country not only have that determination; they are crying out for their government to act upon it. And I can assure you, I will not be found wanting."


6 comments:

Carley Brown said...

thats some heavy stuff. and batons and tasers sound awfully painful and scary.

I think the older you get, the more your faith in humanity is tested on a daily basis. At least in my life experience, my faith in humanity seems to be at a constant waiver.

Miss Jehle said...

Aren't batons the things little girls twirl around? And what is a drunk tank? Different from a dunk tank?

Your world sounds crazy these days.

Emily Star said...

Hahah Amanda!!! I can picture you saying all of those things. :)

Ben Schnell said...

bro. I feel ya

Dylan Wren said...

Amanda, I am talking about the kind of batons the police use and the drunk tank is kind of like a dunk tank for drunks.

Stella said...

This was well written and I'm glad Amanda asked about the drunk tank... cause I've never hear of that. Wish you had a picture too :)

I like your perspective. And I understand where you are coming from.