Monday, February 28, 2011

Castration Mutilation








Hands covered in blood, I rinsed my hands in cold water at the farmhouse. Luke says that cold water is best when trying to wash off blood. The day had been really messy! There was blood everywhere, on my jeans and shirt, Emily even had a little on her face.

All things considered though, we were nowhere nearly as bloody as the calves we had just got done castrating.

This gets messy real fast! Luke had demonstrated the process and now it was my turn. I took his pocketknife and proceeded cutting open the scrotum. The knife was dull and I was inexperienced. The calf jerked around trying to escape. Feeling uneasy about this whole situation, I finally cut the complete tip of the scrotum off. Finding the testicles is the next step. The testicles sucks back up into their bodies as if they know what is about to happen next. Squeezing the testicles out is hard, but what happens next is even harder. I stretch the first testicle out and start scrapping at the spermatic cord with the pocketknife until it breaks free! I repeat the process on the second one. Blood is everywhere!!! The poor calf looked like a wet dog showered in blood, all mangy and rough looking. (This is a bit exaggerated as you can see in the pictures. It’s more like a reflection of my perception and feelings in that moment.)

8 comments:

Elisa said...

Dylan, you actually cut!?! Impressive. You give such an accurate (graphic!) description- made me cringe but I wish I could have been there.

TaraB said...

Dylan. This was super gross.

JannaB. said...

wow... that is sick. lol. But, then again I helped remove a males testicles while in Chad so... I could probably do the whole calf and scrotum thing. But I have to say how you described it made me cringe as well.

Ben Schnell said...

ouchieee

BrittanyK said...

Now, you've fully experienced the farm.

Linda J said...

dylan that is gross, now you can do anything, i would not have done that. just one thing did it smell awful? miss you and love you

Linda J said...

dylan that was gross did it smell awful?looks gross

Linda J said...

sorry i guess it work the first time i'm not do sure of this computer if i do things the right way or not. you know how bad i am at this.