Wednesday, January 6, 2010

STRICKEN, SMITTEN, AND AFFLICTED

While in Illinois, I had a run in with the local law enforcement agents. Driving 20 miles over the speed limit can create travel delays. Serious complications can also arise. I thought I might be in trouble when the state trooper took 15 minutes to process my information.

When the officer finally returned, he said “lucky you are not black, other wise I would arrest you tonight.” Shocked, he had my attention. Dylan Wren has a warrant out for his arrest. But like the officer said, lucky I am not black because Dylan Wren is black. Apparently, I am not the only Dylan Wren out there. The officer then issued me a ticket and I was free to go.

Back on the highway, I started to text. Thinking that it might be against the law in Illinois, I pull over, wanting to avoid anymore confrontation with the law. Flashing lights reflected in my rear view mirror. Another state trooper was at my window. The officer wanted to know what I was doing, where I was going, and if I was experiencing any trouble. Frustrated, I answered all of his questions, as he shined his flashlight into my backseat. Satisfied with my answers, I was free to go again.

Stricken, smitten, and afflicted by the law, I continued my journey as a wanted man.









7 comments:

BrittanyK said...

I'm guessing Illinois isn't your favorite state right now....
Hey Dylan! Hope life's going good for you. I follow Matt's blog and saw your comment. So I checked out your blog--good work!

Miss Jehle said...

Haha. You have always wanted to be wanted by the law, haven't you? ;)

I hope this wasn't on the way to GYC. Maybe I should send a donation to help with the ticket.

Turkey said...

You look good as a black man Dylan. You fought the law and you won. Nice work.

Emily said...

this is a proud moment for me. take that, walgreens.

Emily Star said...

yikers! dylan--20 over? wowser. i don't think i've ever ridden in a car with you driving....would that be safe to say? yeah....i think that's true. hmm...

well, i sat next to sadie baby in class today. History of England. come visit us lighting.

Ben Schnell said...

Thats so great that someone with your name has/had a warrant for their arrest. It would be fun to go in to the police station as if your turning yourself in, and then act really confused when they tell you its not you.

Sadie said...

Dylan I am so glad that I inspired you to experiment with being a different race. It is kind of fun, eh?