Sunday, August 9, 2009

I Own A Home

I bought a house, 3242 N 52 Street! I am really excited about it. My Dad and I are going to flip it, so in 90 days hopefully I will no longer be a home owner.

The house is a 1930’s bungalow with four bedrooms and three bathrooms, all of which need restoring. The house is on a corner lot so there is lots of room in the back yard. There is a small detected garage, which is currently falling apart. The basement flooded this winter so there was mold on the walls but we have taken care of that. And when we removed the carpet, which smelled like pet fesis, we discovered beautiful wood floors. The house is located in an area called University Place, which is a pretty good neighborhood. It is kind of like College View, it is positioned near Nebraska Wesleyan University.

The day that we were supposed to go into contract on the house was crazy! At the time we had been working with this bank in Washington State, Flagstar Bank. Flagstar was one of a dozen banks that offered a special home renovation loan, so we were forced to work with them. These guys were making us jump through all of the hoops; they wanted to audit my father and me. They wanted to take there time in deciding if they really wanted to give us a loan. They played games with us. They charged unreasonable fees to use their “services”. After going through all of this, I really doubted that I would be able to get a loan; these guys were professional self-esteem lowers.

On the day we were to go into contract, Flagstar still could not deliver in a timely fashion; they said that it would take at least another 45 days before we would be able to seal the deal. I told my realtor this, she then conveyed the message to the listing realtor who was fanatical about it! My realtor assured me that we could simply submit another bid for the home after we were able to get our financing in line. At the time it appeared that the deal was going to fall though, nothing was working out.

There was nothing I could do. I had no control. I got on my knees and prayed. I prayed for God’s will, for guidance, and strength to accept His will. When I was done praying, my realtor called. She told me to call this lady, Angie, that she might be able to help me. I wasted on time and before the morning was over I was sitting in her office with my father. We told her what we were trying to do. She looked at my credit score. And she approved me for a loan, all in 20 minutes. Praise the Lord! I didn’t even have to have my father co-sign, the process was too easy. There are so many small details that were taken care of. We got a lower rate, a better kind of loan, one that I wasn’t even aware existed, and we could deal with a local bank. Everything came together that day, things are always better with the Lord!

3 comments:

Miss Jehle said...

Look at those wood floors...what a huge difference!

Happy renovating!

Ben Schnell said...

Dude, thats an awesome story! The house looks awesome too.

nance said...

Shoot Dang! (said in a true oklahoman accent) You own a house? Look at you go! Like it!