Sunday, August 19, 2007

Tell Me What Success Is

If you don’t define what success is for yourself, society will define it for you. And that could have terrible consequences. In fact I am convinced that what society tells us is success is a lie! The world tells us to seek more power, money, and fame. But guess what, I promise you, this kind of lifestyle will leave you desperately wanting and never content.

This summer I have thought a lot about this topic and this is what success if for me…

To find my identity in God, as one beloved by Him. To be lead by His teachings and commandments. This genuine service will spring from a genuine knowledge of Him. The better I know God, the more I will love Him. The more I love Him, the better I will serve Him. I want to look to God to help me to make the right choices in life. My relationship with God is the true foundation for success.

To be committed to marriage, family, and the community I live in. As my love for God increases so will my love for my fellow man. I believe that in the end, the most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. I want to be passionately in love with my wife and at the same time, I want my love to always be backed by principle. I want to be mindful to give priority to family over work. I want to spend time with my children teaching them in the ways of life and building character in them. I want to be apart of a community of believers that aren’t afraid to reevaluate what they believe in, a group that is actively searching and studying scripture. I want to be held accountable to these people and want to know them intimately. I want to experience true fellowship.

To have integrity in my personal and public life. I want to live a life of consistency. I want to practice what I preach and if I don’t I want to be called out. Part of having integrity is practicing good stewardship. I want to be a good steward with the things God has blessed me with and not just the material things but also caring for my body and the environment.

These are the things that really matter in life. They are the only things in fact that we can take to heaven. This life is short but eternity is forever! I would hate to miss out on the grandeur picture.

1 comment:

nance said...

This is beautiful. I love your passion!